ACP strives to minimize negative impacts on the environment and promote sustainability at its Internal Medicine Meeting. Efforts by ACP and its site partner at the 2023 Internal Medicine Meeting include:
- Eliminating or significantly reducing printed materials such as the Scientific Program, newspaper, handouts, brochures and other materials and offering digital materials and electronic delivery of information.
- All meeting badge lanyards are made from recycled plastic.
- Eliminating previous meeting offerings such as tote bags.
- When feasible, retaining signage for future meetings.
- ACP’s shuttle company SEAT Planners works with The Conservation Fund to offset CO2 by planting trees in protected parks and wildlife refuges.
- The San Diego Convention Center:
- Emphasizes environmental responsibility though an extensive recycling program and a focus on local- and regionally-sourced food products. A good deal of the food used at the Center is from farms that are within 100 miles, and the Center continues to strive to add more farms to its "Hundred Mile Club."
- Donates excess food to the San Diego Rescue Mission, the San Diego Food Bank, and Father Joe’s.